Every newborn is one-of-a-kind, and so are their medical needs. The region’s tiniest, most fragile babies get their start in Akron Children’s 59-bed neonatal intensive care unit.
Last year alone, our staff cared for nearly 600 infants at our Level III NICU on the Akron campus and nearly 1,200 babies at our 4 other locations throughout northeast Ohio.
Our dedicated physicians and staff are nationally recognized for their clinical excellence and were recently ranked by U.S. News and World Report’s Best Children’s Hospitals.
It is because of our reputation as a leader in neonatal care that our NICU is oftentimes filled to capacity with newborns and their caregivers. Simply put, we have outgrown our current space and need additional room to help our patients grow.
Our new 100-bed unit will occupy the sixth and seventh floors of the critical care tower and will include innovative space for bonding between families and newborns. This ensures a safe and warm entry into the world for the tiniest among us.
- $2.5 million names the 100-bed NICU
- $1 million names an entire floor, which has 2 NICU wings with 25 individual rooms
- $500,000 names 1 of 4 NICU wings
- $100,000 names 1 of 4 family nourishment lounges with a kitchenette, dining area and comfortable seating
- $100,000 names a private lactation room
- $50,000 names an individual NICU room, which will have a private bathroom and a place for parents to sleep
- $50,000 names 1 of 2 conference rooms available to families and staff
- $25,000 names 1 of 4 family meditation rooms